How to sort out low-quality links when link building? Most relevant news for marketers to consider after WWDC2021, Pinterest is launching their shopping features, TikTok continues to be the leader in downloading, and much more from the world of digital marketing in our new episode of the RGray Weekly Marketing Insights and News Digest.
- Apple announced lots of new features after their WWDC2021 event. We collected the best for marketers. Check out them in our new digest.
- Chris Giarratana from Moz shared his tips on how to weed out low-quality sites for link building. Read them in our weekly digest.
- Pinterest announced their new shopping features which will probably convert regular users to buyers. Find more about it in our digest.
- TikTok is the number one app in downloads for three months in a row. Who downloads the most? Let’s figure that out!
WWDC2021 news for marketers
One of Apple’s busiest events, WWDC21, recently took place, where they announced many new features. Here are the top ones for marketers:
- It is likely that the ability to track the opening rate of Apple’s e-mail messages will be disabled. The company has announced its intention to add a feature to its email application that will allow users to hide their IP address and prevent senders from knowing when an email is opened.
- You’ll be able to split test your copy on the App Store. The opportunity to test videos, view screenshots, and application icons will be added. It will also become possible to change the text on these images and test the text copy in the same way.
- Promotion of various in-app events (live contests, premieres, broadcasts) will be available. Apple has created a new section in App Store “Events You Might Like”. These events will also be displayed on the App Store home page and in the list of your applications.
- Safari will receive a special browser extension on iPad and iPhone. This will facilitate an extensive distribution channel for developers and marketers.
How to weed out low-quality sites when link building
Link building is one of the most important components of SEO optimization. But Google doesn’t just reward links, you have to show real authority.
When you’re creating great content for your audience, you need to prioritize which websites to contact for link building and set aside those links that won’t give you any SEO benefit.
Chris Giarratana of Moz talked about his approach to filtering out bad links.
- Bulk Disqualification: Once you receive or create your content, you can use various tools like Scrapebox, NinjaOutreach, or Pitchbox to give you lists of potential sites to collaborate with.
Here you will have to weed out a large number of low-quality sites according to the following principle:
- Disqualify various URL parameters: remove sites where URLs contain traces such as “wiki”, “forum” and “news”.
- Remove guest posting websites: While these sites may be helpful, they actually have little impact on your link-building strategy. Sites with “send”, “write for us” or “guest post” need to be cleaned up.
- Identify powerful sites. In the first step, you figured out which sites to remove. Use the following metrics to identify authoritative sites:
- The relevance and authority of the site.
- Monthly traffic.
- Domain Authority.
- Manual Check: At this stage, you should have eliminated almost 90% of all links that you originally had. Now the remaining ones need to be checked manually, because there may be websites created specifically for links.
Also, avoid sites that have too many ads, because they are most likely created to make commissions, and not to provide good content.
That’s all! Chris Giarratana also shared various tools to speed up this process and make it more efficient.
Pinterest wants us to buy more stuff
Pinterest wants products to not only be viewed on their platform but also purchased.
Based on this, the company has announced the following:
- Australian, Canadian, French and German users will have more Pinterest shopping features.
- Pinterest introduced Shopping List, its own version of the shopping cart. Thus, users will be able to save all the Pins of their products in one place. The essence of the idea lies in having a single place where all the goods you are interested in would be stored.
- Products from Pinterest: As part of a two-week shopping review, the company will launch limited products from brands that are only sold on Pinterest.
If this strategy works, then expect more people from Pinterest to convert into buyers.
TikTok is constantly on fire!
This spring, it was announced that TikTok is the most downloaded app for several months in a row.
But a couple of months were not enough for them. According to SenorTower, TikTok continues to be the most downloaded non-gaming app in May 2021 with over 80 million installs.
What’s changed since April: In April, TikTok was №1 in all categories, except for Google Play downloads. Facebook remained the leader there.
But a month later, TikTok overthrew Facebook and occupied a leading position in the number of downloads, in both Google Play and App Store.
Countries that download TikTok: Brazil became a leader in total downloads with 13%, followed by China with 12%.